Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"An Oggsford [wo]man"

After my amazing 3 week journey in London (I stayed a bit longer than anticipated) I am now in Oxford. And after being here a few days I have decided that Oxford is the perfect balance between the busyness of the city and the calm of the countryside.

We went punting on Saturday
- punting is when you get into a long-ish boat and you use a long pole to paddle yourself up and down the river. It is an absolute ball unless you fall in, which- luckily- I didn't.

It was great to see just how relaxed uni life is in Oxford and I must say it has got me super excited for university. That's not to say that this year should rush by though.

The best part is that the family that I am staying with, lives very close to town, so I can take a 10 minute bike ride into town whenever I feel like it and it is absolutely safe, and easy. I have cycled in to see some of the museums and galleries and just to experience city life.

I have already met some amazing people and I will have the chance to meet many more. I have a few seminars and a conference lined up because: "when in Rome," right? (By this I mean because Oxford is a university town, I have decided to learn things while I am here.)

My ticket out of London and into Oxford. The call the bus the "Oxford Tube" so as to confuse people into thinking that Oxford is just a few minutes away when actually it's about an hour.



We went for a picnic by the river, the same one that we went punting on and I was reading my book (Frankenstein, my absolute fave)

I made this all by myself.

This is me fixing my flowery bracelet. How summery everything looks! 

i'm not sure how clear this is, but it is a pub that's called the Cape of Good hope. Sort of makes me miss home. 

Another hopefully more clear picture of the pub.


the lovely family that I am staying with.

The exterior of the Natural history museum.

A sign that says: "Natural History museum"

I thought these were quite cute, they're little people on a little wagon.


Who needs air force ones?



A little snippet of the punting river, the tip of a punting boat and my shoes. 

Be prepared for more info about Oxford and some of the cool stuff that I will be doing. Even though I am only staying a week, I am sure that I will be up to plenty of things.

*also, the title of this post is a reference to The Great Gatsby, so if you have not read it then the blog title will not make sense to you. 

That's all, Bye! :) x


No comments:

Post a Comment