Friday, April 18, 2014

SANDS memorial garden in Totnes

As you may know I have been up to a lot of cool stuff and one of those things is helping out with the building of a memorial garden (although I can't say I did a lot of building.) The memorial garden is being built and planned by an organisation called Participate arts (http://participatearts.org.uk/) and they are working in conjunction with an organisation called SANDS (Stillbirth and neonatal death society) and this garden will be a space for bereaved families to remember the children that they may have lost.

My job was mainly to help them get sponsors so that they could build the garden and to make sure that it would be an amazing place for people to visit. I also helped them with some of their social media and the website (like not that much but it counts right?)

It was an amazing experience to be a part (no matter how small) of such an amazing thing. I learnt a lot about how tough it actually is getting sponsors and I have a new respect for all Non-profit organisations. I also assisted in creating moulds for some of the tiles that will be going into the garden. These tiles were made by some of the bereaved families and it was amazing to see how the messages and designs on the tiles were so personal to each family.

This is my work space while I was busy helping with looking for sponsors.


The clay moulds that would be turned into stone for the garden.


Me preparing the tiles so that the moulding stuff could be poured in. 


my hands.


me doing stuff, well, my hands again really.


The clay ready to have the moulding stuff poured in.


sneakily got my feet in there.


peeling off the mould.


Mixing up the stone for the tiles. 


 A look at how the tiles are made and how they will end up. 


I know this post is way overdue but better late than never right?

That's all, Bye! :) x

1 comment: