Sunday, April 6, 2014

Craving to be cultured: HMS pinafore

So as you may or may not know, one of my resolutions for this year is to become extremely cultured and this is the first of many experiences which I will label as "cultured".

On Friday night we (me and my English family) went to watch a play by Gilbert and Sullivan (Google it) called HMS pinafore and despite it being an extremely cultured experience (theatres are always cultured) it was hilariously funny (deliberate tautology)  and possibly some of the most amazing theatre acting I have seen I my life.

The cast was all male and it was refreshing to see how some of the female roles were portrayed by some of the men. And can I ask, do we really wave our hands and stroke our hair that much? But they were exquisite and the main female role (which was played by a man) literally had me in a sense of disbelief and awe. He had the most incredible falsetto voice that I have heard on anyone let alone a man.

The transformation of the males into female characters was done with nothing but minimal props and a change in a manner of speaking and movement and nothing more. I could go on forever about how incredible this play was but I think you actually have to see it I order to understand.

If theatre is not really your thing then I can assure you that the eye candy would be enough to keep anyone interested (even some of the fellas out there). I mean some of those guys men (I can assure you they were men) looked like they were carved by Michelangelo, if after he died became an angel and carved their bodies out of gold clay, fairy dust and unicorn tears.

So it was overall an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone and I can safely say that I am one step closer to being more cultured, and boy was it an amazing step.

That's all, Bye! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment